Portuguese Traditional Products

Portuguese Traditional Products

Castanha da Terra Fria PDO

Castanha da Terra Fria PDO

Description: Castanha da Terra Fria PDO is the name given to the fruit of the chestnut (Castanea sativa Mill), Longal from the varieties, Judia, Côta, Amarelal, Lamela, Aveleira, Boa Ventura, Trigueira, Martainha and Negral. Each batch consists of 85% of one of the varieties and the remaining 15% may be completed by one of the other varieties mentioned. They may also benefit from the use of the denomination Castanha da Terra Fria the chestnuts presented pounded, frozen, candied or preserved in syrup.

Production method: The specific steps in production that must take place in the delimited geographical area are the production and harvesting of the fruit. The collection of the fruits is made from the ground and no mechanical or other method can be used to force the fall of the fruits of the tree in order for the maturation to be complete. The fruits are harvested by variety and put together in batches.

Special features: The Castanha da Terra Fria PDO has an elongated elliptical shape; it has a reddish brown shiny colour and has long dark lines across it. There are between 70 to 95 nuts per kg. It has an intense flavour.

Production area: The geographical area of production of Castanha da Terra Fria PDO is limited to some parishes of the municipalities of Alfândega da Fé, Bragança, Chaves, Macedo de Cavaleiros, Mirandela, Valpaços, Vimioso and Vinhais, in the districts of Vila Real and Bragança.

History: The history of the Castanha da Terra Fria PDO is inextricably linked to the area where it grows. The chestnut tree is one of the main trees growing in this area and has been important for the survival of the local rural population, now no longer as a direct source of food but it plays an important role in the local economy. The chestnut tree was already an important source of nourishment in Roman times since the potato was not introduced into Portugal until 1789.

Certification mark
marca Castanha Terra Fria DOP

Product specification (pdf)

Geographical area

Producer group
Cooperativa Soutos os Cavaleiros

Control and certification body
SATIVA – Desenvolvimento Rural, Lda.

Publication in the Portuguese official journal

Regulamento (CE) N.º 1107/96 da Comissão de 12.06.1996 – L 148/1

Publication in the Portuguese official journal
Aviso (extrato) n.º 13516/2016, de 02.11.2016